Customer: Historic Royal Palaces
- Create 3 royal carriages and 2 sedan chairs to be parked in the Hampton Court Palace driveway during the 500th Anniversary celebrations
- Provide a unique visitor experience that will withstand thousands of public visitors
Pinewood Creative arrives with 5 royal carriages for Hampton Court Palace’s 500th Anniversary
In April 2015, Pinewood Creative rolled into Hampton Court Palace with 3 royal carriages, and 2 sedan chairs, specially recreated in Pinewood’s workshops for the 500th Anniversary of the Palace.
The carriages parked in the palace driveway during the anniversary celebrations, giving visitors a unique opportunity to experience the historic surroundings in royal style.
Extensive research was required at Windsor Castle and the National Coach Museum in Lisbon to ensure that the carriages best represent the design of the originals as well as being ready for the thousands of visitors who will visit the palace through the summer months.
The meticulous attention to detail meant that it took over 1600 man hours to design, re-create and build the carriages. The Catherine of Braganza carriage was fitted with dampeners to create a rocking motion that would give the illusion of travel. Traditional materials were replaced with modern, sustainably sourced products, to ensure that the timber will last up to 50 years.
- 1600 man hours to design, re-create and build the carriages
- Traditional materials were replaced with more modern and sustainable products.
- Most of the timber was sustainably sourced and will last up to 50 years.
- The Catherine of Braganza carriage was fitted with dampeners to provide a rocking feel that you would have felt whilst travelling to Hampton Court Palace.
- NLS Fabrications, who supplied and built the steel work, are based at Pinewood Studios and were awarded the Royal Warrant in 2000.